Campus Buildings and Names

Anderson Health Science Fred M. Anderson, M.D., (1906-2003), Reno physician and surgeon, member of the Board of Regents, 1956-1978. Anderson was instrumental in helping establish the School of Medicine.

Ansari Business Building Nazir Ansari, professor of managerial sciences from 1967 to 1994, emeritus. Dr. Ansari has been a major supporter of the Getchell Library for many years. His generous contributions include establishing the Mary Ansari Map Library in 1990 and providing initial funding for the Business and Government Information Center.

Argenta Hall Named to recognize Nevada's designation as the Silver State. Argenta derives from the Latin word "argentum" and the Greek word for silver, "argyros."

Brigham Family Medicine Center Edna S. Brigham, director of the Nevada System of Higher Education Endowment and formerly development officer at the School of Medicine from 1976 to 1983. Dedicated in 1986, the building was made possible through a generous gift from Claude I. Howard.

Edmund J. Cain Hall Named after Edmund J. Cain (1918-2003), the dean of the College of Education from 1964 to 1983.

Canada Hall Named to recognize a significant gift from Canadian mining companies in Nevada. The gift funded, in part, the construction of the university's newest residence hall in 1993.

Robert Cashell Field House Robert A. Cashell, northern Nevada businessman, and Reno mayor; Honorary Alumnus, 1976; member of the Board of Regents, 1979-1982; lieutenant governor for the state of Nevada, 1983-1987; Distinguished Nevadan Award, 1988.

Center for Molecular Medicine Opening in 2010, the 140,000 square foot center is the first new basic science research facility to be built at the School of Medicine in nearly 30 years. It houses research teams from across the medical school and serves as headquarters for The Whittemore Peterson Institute for Neuro-immuno Diseases and the Division of Health Sciences Center for Healthy Aging.

Church Fine Arts Building James Edward Church (1869-1959), professor of Latin, German, classical art and history, 1892-1959. Developed the first snow surveying techniques, which led to the science of evaluating regional water storage. Also developed system of analyzing avalanche hazards. Brought worldwide scientific honor to the University of Nevada. The building was remodeled and expanded in 1986.

Clark Administration Alice McManus Clark, native Nevadan, wife of William A. Clark, Jr., son of a Montana senator who built railroads in southern Nevada. Mrs. Clark gave several scholarships to the university. After her death, her husband donated the Clark Library in her name, 1926. This building was the cultural and research center of the university for more than three decades until the library moved to its present location in 1962.

Davidson Mathematics and Science Center Named for Bob and Jan Davidson, the center opened in 2010. The 100,000 square foot, state-of-the-art building houses the College of Science and provides an integrated and centralized 21st century environment for learning and research.

Lincoln and Meta Fitzgerald Student Services Building Named after Lincoln and Meta Fitzgerald, northern Nevada gaming pioneers. Their gifts funded, in part, construction of the $8 million building, which opened at the center of campus in 2000. They also supported scholarship endowments for students in the Orvis School of Nursing, College of Business Administration and the School of Medicine, as well as a permanent endowment for the Core Humanities program.

Fleischmann Agriculture Fleischmann Greenhouses, Fleischmann Life Science [See also: Fleischmann Planetarium and Science Center and Sarah H. Fleischmann Building.] Max C. Fleischmann (1877-1951), Nevada philanthropist; food industry millionaire (Standard Brands); benefactor of the university with gifts of land, scholarships and endowments. From the Max C. Fleischmann Foundation established by Fleischmann for the purpose of distributing his wealth, came the funds to construct the College of Agriculture and former School of Home Economics, and later, the life science wing of the agriculture building. The Fleischmann Foundation contributed further monies to the university in gifts, scholarships and assistance in establishing the Computing Center, Laboratory in Environmental Patho-Physiology, Fleischmann Planetarium, Desert Research Institute, the Water Resources Building and the Judicial College Building.

Sarah H. Fleischmann Building Named for Mrs. Max C. Fleischmann. [See also: Fleischmann Agriculture]

Fleischmann Planetarium and Science Center [Charles and Henriette Fleischmann Planetarium] Named for the parents of Max C. Fleischmann.

Frandsen Humanities Named for Peter Frandsen, (1876-1967) founder of the biology department; professor of biology, zoology, embryology, anatomy, bacteriology, 1900-1942.

Getchell Library Noble H. Getchell (1875-1960), Nevada miner, state senator.

Howard Medical Sciences Howard System Administration Building Claude I. Howard (1905-1998), Las Vegas businessman and major benefactor of the School of Medicine; credited with enabling the medical program to develop into an accredited four-year medical school. Named a Distinguished Nevadan in 1979; awarded an Honorary Degree in 1982. The building was dedicated in 1982.

Jones Visitor Center Clarence K. and Martha H. Jones provided an endowment that preserved the Old Journalism Building, constructed in 1914 as the University of Nevada Library and dedicated in 1983 as the Visitor Center. Jones was an investment counselor and former Reno newspaper executive. He was named a Distinguished Nevadan in 1977. Martha, the former Martha Washington Hansen, received the President's Medal in 1985.

Joe Crowley Student Union Dr. Joseph N. Crowley is the longest serving president in the history of the University of Nevada, Reno, 1978-2001.  "Joe" (as he prefers to be called), initially joined the university as a political science faculty member in 1966.  Part of his long and distinguished legacy is that his record clearly demonstrates that he really cares about students.  Students chose to name their new student union building in his honor.  The building is primarily funded by student fees that the students self-assessed and the Board of Regents approved. 

Knudtsen Resource Center Molly Flagg Knudtsen (1915-2001), ranch owner near Austin, Nev.; member of the Board of Regents for 18 years, 1960-1972 and 1974-1980. Born in New York, Mrs. Knudtsen came to Nevada in 1942; wrote about central Nevada ranches in her book "Here is Our Valley"; and had her work published in several journals under the name of Molly Magee.

Lawlor Events Center Glenn "Jake" Lawlor (1907-1980), one of the University of Nevada, Reno's best-known athletes and coaches. He played and coached football, basketball, tennis, golf, baseball and track. Lawlor was also the university's athletic director, 1959-1970.

Laxalt Mineral Engineering/Laxalt Mineral Research Paul D. Laxalt (1922- ), governor of the state of Nevada, 1967-1971; U.S. senator, 1974-1987.

Legacy Hall Home to university intercollegiate athletics offices, outreach programs for Truckee Meadows youth, the Nevada Athletic Hall of Fame and Tribute to Champions displays.

Leifson Physics Sigmund W. Leifson (1897-1984), professor of physics, 1925-1963; chairman of the physics department, 1938-1963. Nationally recognized nuclear physicist; pioneer in the theory of atomic energy.

Lincoln Hall Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865), 16th president of the United States.

Lombardi Recreation Louis E. Lombardi, M.D. (1907-1990), Reno physician and surgeon; member of the Board of Regents, 1951-1980.

Mack Social Science Effie Mona Mack (1888-1969), Nevada historian and educator; university benefactor.

Mackay Mines Mackay Stadium John W. Mackay (1831-1902), one of the "Big Four" successful mining men of the bonanza days on the Comstock, Virginia City, Nev. Buildings, land and endowments were presented to the university in his honor by his widow, Marie Louise, and son, Clarence H. Mackay.

Mackay Science (Mackay Science Hall) Clarence H. Mackay (1874-1938), New York financier, son of John W. Mackay [see above]. Mackay Science Hall, dedicated in 1930, was one of numerous gifts made to the university by Clarence H. Mackay. Each spring, Mackay Day, named in his honor, is celebrated.

Manville Health Science H. Edward Manville, Jr. (1906-1984), industrialist, philanthropist, civic leader, former chairman of the School of Medicine Advisory Board. His estate provided the school with $1 million to establish the H. Edward Manville endowed professor in internal medicine.

Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center Funded in part by gifts from the Mathewson Family and International Game Technology, construction of the 295,000 square foot, state of the art library facility was completed in August 2008. The Knowledge Center combines traditional library resources and services with digital and multimedia technologies and tools.

Morrill Hall Alumni Center Named for the Morrill Land Grant Act of 1862 after Justin S. Morrill (1810-1898), U.S. senator from Vermont. The act established the system of land-grant colleges, including, in 1864, the University of Nevada. Completed in 1886, Morrill Hall was the first building erected on the university's Reno campus. Until 1889, it was the University of Nevada.

John E. Nellor Biomedical Science Named for John E. Nellor (1922-2004), Graduate School dean and research professor of biology.

Nye Hall Named for Nye County, Nevada, after James W. Nye (1814-1876), Nevada territorial governor, 1861-1864; U.S. senator from Nevada, 1864-1873.

Orvis School of Nursing Arthur E. Orvis (1888-1965), Nevada adoptive resident, who, with his wife, Mrs. Mae Zenke Orvis, contributed sizable cash sums to the university, making possible the construction in 1965-1966 of the School of Nursing.

Palmer Engineering Stanley G. Palmer (1887-1975), professor of electrical engineering, 1915-1941; dean of the College of Engineering, 1941-1957.

William Peccole Park William Peccole (1913-1999), a Nevada alum, 1940, donated substantial funds to construct and expand the university's baseball field. He also supported scholarships and several other university programs.

Pennington Medical Education Building Named for William and Myriam Pennington, generous supporters of the University of Nevada School of Medicine and other university programs since 1991.

William Raggio Building William Raggio of Reno is a longtime state senator and supporter of higher education and advocate of quality public education. He was instrumental in ensuring that the state provided funding for the $21 million College of Education Building that opened in 1997.

Nell J. Redfield Building Mrs. Nell J. Redfield (1894-1981), philanthropist, humanitarian and founder of the Nell J. Redfield Foundation. A long-time contributor to the University of Nevada School of Medicine, Mrs. Redfield had a special interest in young people, providing support for needy students. The building was made possible through a generous grant from the Redfield Foundation. Redfield is also the namesake for the collaborative campus with Truckee Meadows Community College and its inaugural building, constructed at the intersection of U.S. 395 and the Mount Rose Highway.

Harry Reid Engineering Laboratory Named for Harry Reid, U.S. Senator from Nevada.

Donald W. Reynolds School of Journalism and Center for Advanced Media Studies Donald W. Reynolds National Center for the Courts and the Media. Named for Donald W. Reynolds (1906-1993), key contributor to journalism education in the state of Nevada. His Donald W. Reynolds Foundation Inc., provided grants to support the University of Nevada, Reno, School of Journalism. A pioneer of the American communications industry, Reynolds was founder of the Donrey Media Group.

Ross Hall Silas E. Ross (1887-1975), professor of chemistry, 1909-1914; Reno mortician; member of the Board of Regents, 1932-1956.

John Sala Intramural Field John Sala (1918-1986), alumni director, 1957-1959; superintendent of Buildings and Grounds, 1959-1982.

Savitt Medical Library Savitt Medical Science Sol (1898-1981) and Ella Savitt (1903-2004), former owners of Sierra News Co. in Reno; longtime university supporters with contributions to the School of Medicine, its medical library, Nevada Wolf Pack athletics, the Reynolds School of Journalism, Fleischmann Planetarium and various scholarship funds. The couple were named Distinguished Nevadans in 1977. The Savitt Medical Science building was completed in 1978, and the Savitt Medical Library is now an 18,000-square-foot facility in the Pennington Medical Education Building.

Schulich Lecture Hall Named for Seymour Schulich, Canadian mining executive and a longtime benefactor of the university.

Scrugham Engineering-Mines James G. Scrugham (1880-1945), professor of mechanical engineering, 1903-1914; first dean of the College of Engineering, 1914-1916; state engineer; governor of Nevada, 1923-1925; representative in U.S. Congress, 1933-1942; U.S. senator, 1942-1945; newspaper editor; historian.

Thompson Building Reuben C. Thompson (1878-1951), professor of ancient languages, literature and philosophy, 1908-1939; founded department of philosophy; dean of men, 1932-1939.

Brian J. Whalen Parking Complex Named for Brian J. Whalen, assistant vice president for facilities management, who served the university for 38 years and oversaw the construction and acquisition of more than 30 buildings.

  Skip Navigation Links.